A strong and healthy lower body is very important to perform daily life tasks, which involves efficient bending and lifting activities. This is only possible if you have strong legs and hips, in order to perform ADL’s and sports activities. Hence, it is very important to focus on exercising and strengthening of lower extremity muscles and joints, especially Hip joint. Various equipment and machines are present for this purpose, but still, it is quite difficult to find effective equipment for the bad hips.
We have made this search easy for you by providing you with important and relevant information regarding the currently available best exercise equipment for bad hips. Here you go!
Best Exercise Equipment for Bad Hips 2021
The treadmill is one of the most common and effective equipment which is an important source of body fitness and ensures optimum cardiopulmonary function as well. Treadmills can be used for walking, running, or jogging hence providing strength and improved ROM in lower extremity joints e.g hip and knees.
Modern treadmills are provided with a display screen that shows Distance covered and the number of burned calories as well, providing a detailed set of information to the user. They have adjustable speeds and shock absorbers, and anti-slip side standings, making them safer and user friendly. So yes, A treadmill is definitely the best choice for improving and enhancing lower body strength.
- Natural in function
- Easy to use
- Safe to use
- Side rails and multiple hand placements ensure safety.
- Reduces lower extremity stiffness and spasm
- Quick relief from chronic pain of the hip.
- Comparatively CHEAP
- Adjustable walking speed
- Can be problematic for people with arthritis.
An elliptical is a low-impact exercise machine that imitates and facilitates running without consumption of large body force. It is provided with moving handlebars, as well as vertical stationary handlebars to provide easy handling while using it.
A gear shifter is also present to adjust the speed/ resistance, according to the individual needs of users. Plus, a multi-function computer system is also present for an improved user interface. Helps to reduce hip joint restrictions and increase the range of joints, thus facilitates hip joint movements. That is why an Elliptical is a piece of preferable equipment for people with restricted hip joint movements.
- Good for getting back ROM.
- Increases joint play hence improve Hip movements.
- Safe to use & best exercise equipment for bad hips
- Running can be performed with less effort
- Some machines do not allow adjustable stride length, thus, can only be used by some patients, not everyone.
- Also, the Instability of the footplate can put additional strain on the hip joint.
- Requires supervision while using.
3. Stationary Bike
A stationary bike or stationary cycling is considered as one of the best and safest equipments to improve ROM and strengthening the lower body. It is also considered the best exercise to reduce arthritic hip pain.
A stationary bike is provided with curved handlebars for safety, and an adjustable seat to make it suitable for each individual to use. A multi-functional monitor is also attached which displays time duration and calorie status. Hence, it is considered one of the safest and effective best exercise equipment for bad hips.
- Adjustable resistance settings.
- No fall risk
- Safer than road cycling
- Cycling promotes external rotation of the hip.
- For post THR patients, Stationary Bike is considered the best option to regain ROM, though, the positive outcome depends upon the surgeon and surgical approach.
- Proper positioning of the seat is very important to get beneficial results.
- Very high or very low level of the seat can even aggravate the hip pain.
Treadclimber or (Bowflex treadclimber) is basically a low-impact exercise machine that increases the energy levels and reduces osteoporotic damage. It also facilitates the body’s natural walking stride.
Handlebars are present to assist while using equipment, Also, speed and resistance can be adjusted accordingly. It also contains hydraulic cylinders whose intensity can be adjusted manually.
A treadclimber can therefore say to provide the combined beneficial effect of a treadmill, stair climber, and elliptical trainer.
- Facilitates natural walking.
- Reliable and safe to use.
- Improves hip ROM and joint play.
- Reduces hip joint restriction.
- Needs proper guidance or practice before using it.
- Difficult to operate.
- There could be a high risk of compression on joint surfaces, which can result in extra strain on the hip and knees.
A StairMaster is basically a stationary fitness machine that provides rotating steps, just like a treadmill, enabling the user to climb an upward direction at an adjustable speed and duration. Along with cardiopulmonary fitness, it helps in toning of lower-body muscles, especially the hip muscles.
It is also provided with handrails, a display monitor, ensuring an improved user interface. Unlike the treadmill, it contains stairs steps instead of a planning belt, which provides additional resistance training to the lower extremity, thus, the best exercise equipment for bad hips.
- Optimum and tolerable force can be applied to joints, Which improves joint integrity.
- Considered as a good option to reduce hip pain.
- Strengthening of hip muscles can be achieved.
- Puts heavy stress on joints, as compared to other machines.
- Risk of injury.
6. Leg Press Machine
A leg press machine is a common gym machine that focuses on different muscle groups from different angles, providing optimum resistance and strength to targeted muscles. It focuses on various hip muscles according to foot positioning.
It is very important to perform this exercise with good and optimum posture in order to minimize the chances of injury.
- Any muscle group of lower extremity can be targeted.
- Improves dynamic muscle performance.
- Improves balance.
- Increases functional strength.
- Strengthens hip muscles.
- Risk of injury
- Should be done under supervision.
- High resistance can cause back issues.
- Can put tremendous stress on the back.
7. Leg Curl Machine
A leg curl machine is basically used to load the muscles of the back and posterior hip. The leg movement is performed against the resistance, and as a result, the strength is achieved.
It provides an effective core exercise, which improves the strength and flexibility of the targeted muscles, especially hip muscles. As exercise can be performed while sitting, or in the prone position, it is considered safe and comfortable best exercise equipment for bad hips.
- Adjustable weights
- Easy to use
- Isolated muscle groups can be targeted.
- Performed in a comfortable and safe position.
- Overstretch can cause impairment of muscles.
- Contraindicated for recent hip surgery.
- If pain or injury is already present, the condition can get worsened.
8. Hip Abduction machine
A hip abductor machine facilitates hip abduction movement which is very important for effective standing and walking. It helps to pull the leg away from the body, thus, rotating the leg at the hip joint.
The machine usually contains a comfortable seat with a backrest, and weights or resistances against hip abductors and hip abduction is performed against these resistances. Strong hip abductors are very important to preserve the integrity of the hip joint and surrounding soft tissues.
- Easy to use
- Decrease pain & best exercise equipment for bad hips
- Better activation of hip muscles
- Targeted Strengthening of hip abductors.
- Chances of injury if forces are directed on the wrong angle